Our great camp cookout continues this week with the Smoky Bean Breakfast. This is real old-world cowboy cookery, with tons of smoky flavours and plenty of protein-rich ingredients to keep you fuelled for whatever the day may bring.
Like always we have picked ingredients that are easy to transport and cook using a simple set of outdoor culinary essentials. Just follow the instructions and then bask in the smoky aroma. If you have a hat and a horse then even better…
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 3 chipolatas
- 6 small cooking chorizo sausages, halved
- 3 good-quality smoked hot dog sausages, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250ml carton passata
- 150g good quality BBQ sauce
- 400g can of borlotti beans, drained
- 400g can of haricot beans, drained
- 4 eggs
- Toast to serve
- Frying pan
- Chopping board
- Wooden Spoon
- Heat the oil in a large paella pan and add rosemary for 2 minutes, then scoop it out to a plate and set aside.
- Add the chipolatas and push to one side of the pan once browned and add the other sausages. Cook for a few mins. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 8 mins.
- Add the passata, BBQ sauce and some seasoning, bring to a simmer and bubble for a few mins.
- Create little spaces with a spoon in the beans and crack in the eggs. Cover the pan with foil and cook gently for 10 mins.
- Top with the rosemary and serve with buttered toast and mugs of tea.
Check back in two weeks for the next Campfire Dishes recipe. Nom Nom.