For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act"), the data controller is Blacks Outdoor Retail Limited of Hollinsbrook Way, Pilsworth, Bury, BL9 8RR, registered in England and Wales with company number 7795258.
1. Information we may collect from you
1.1 We may collect from you and process the following data:
- 1.1.1 information that you provide to us when setting up or amending an account with us on our Website or when subscribing to a service. For example, your name, address, various delivery addresses, email address, contact telephone numbers, password, password question and answer, and card details which can be used when you subsequently place an order;
- 1.1.2 information that you provide to us when placing an order online or by filling in any online registration form which we may make available on our Website. For example, your name, email address, payment address and card details which are essential for processing an order;
- 1.1.3 details of transactions you carry out through our Website and of the fulfilment of your orders;
- 1.1.4 information which you voluntarily disclose to us by email or other means;
- 1.1.5 information that you provide if you report a problem with our Website;
- 1.1.6 information requested as part of a survey or contest. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and the user therefore has a choice whether or not to disclose this information. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as post code, age level). Contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes. Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction of this Website;
- 1.1.7 details of your visits to our Website, including but not limited to traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
1.2 Addresses and Cookies:
- 1.2.1 We may collect information about your computer including, where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
- 1.2.2 We may obtain information about your internet usage obtained using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your web browser to enable our systems to recognise your browser and to provide features such as personalised greetings and storage of items in your shopping basket between visits. These cookies will enable us to improve our knowledge of your use of our Website and to identify whether or not all of the pages which you request are successfully received.Whilst these cookies are anonymous, they do allow us to improve our Website.
- 1.2.3 If you do choose to register with us then you will be able to choose whether you wish cookies to be turned on or off. The Help menu on the menu bar of most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie and how to disable cookies altogether. However, cookies allow you to take full advantage of some of our Website's most useful features and we recommend that you leave them turned on. If you do leave cookies turned on, be sure to sign off when you finish using a shared computer.
2. Uses made of the information
2.1 We use information held about you in the following ways:
- 2.1.1 internal analysis purposes within our group of companies;
- 2.1.2 Our inability to obtain authorisation for your payment. We may contact you to check your Card details;
- 2.1.3 to provide regular updates and newsletters in respect of our products and services;
- 2.1.4 to ensure that content from our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer and to allow you
to participate in interactive features of our Website where you have chosen to do so;
- 2.1.5 to administer and otherwise perform our obligations in relation to the goods and/or services which we have agreed to provide to you.
For example, we may use an outside carrier company to deliver orders, and a credit card processing company to bill you for goods and services. These companies do not retain, share, store or use personally identifiable information for any secondary purposes;
- 2.1.6 to provide you with information, products or services including any marketing that you have requested from us or that we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes and otherwise to respond to queries which you may submit;
- 2.1.7 to notify you about changes to our Website;
- 2.1.8 to offer you products and services that may be of interest to you provided by us or any other company within the same group of companies, either our subsidiaries or holding companies as defined in section 1159 and Schedule 6 of the Companies Act 2006;
- 2.1.9 we may also use your data, or permit selected third parties to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you about these by post or telephone;
- 2.1.10 if you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of previous sales to you and you may opt out of receiving these e-mails or SMS at your discretion.
- 2.1.11 if you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. The categories of use to which your data may be put include those described in conditions 2.1.3, 2.1.6, 2.1.7, 2.1.8 and 2.1.9 above. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data.
- 2.1.12 We may disclose your personal information to third parties:220.127.116.11 if Blacks Outdoor Retail Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets; and
18.104.22.168 in the event that we sell of buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
22.214.171.124 You should be aware that if we are requested to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms of Website Use or Supply Terms and other agreements, or to protect the rights, property or safety of Blacks Outdoor Retail Limited, our customers or others to provide your personal information and/or user information, we are entitled to do so. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud prevention and credit risk reduction.
2.2 Correcting/updating personal information
If your personal information changes (such as your post code), or if you no longer desire our services, we will endeavour to provide a way to correct, update or remove your personal data provided to us. This can easily be done by emailing Customer Services at email@example.com
2.3 Third parties who may use the information
We may pass your data to third parties for the purposes of processing credit or debit card payments and processing your orders.
We may also use your data or permit selected third parties to use your data to provide you with information about products or services which may be of interest or benefit to you.
2.4 Your consent
By placing an order online, over the telephone or during the registration process you will be giving us your consent to contact you to offer promotional goods and services.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing, or to opt-out of receiving regular communications from us by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. If you withdraw your consent to use of your personal information we will stop such use as soon as reasonably practicable.
- 3.1.1 At Blacks Outdoor Retail Limited, we realise how important it is to securely store any information that you provide us. Our Website currently uses high-level Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology for online transactions. You can therefore rest assured that we take the security of your payment and personal details very seriously. We may vary this in the future if we feel you will benefit from greater security whilst using our Website.
- 3.1.2 You can tell whether a webpage is secure as 'https' will replace the 'http' at the front of the www.blacks.co.uk in your browser address window, also a small locked padlock will appear in the bottom bar of your browser window.
- 3.1.3 While we currently use SSL encryption to protect sensitive information online, we also protect your information off-line. All of your information, not just the sensitive information mentioned above, is restricted in our offices. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, a customer services representative) are granted access to your personal information. The servers on which we store your personal information are kept in a secure environment.
- 3.1.4 Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. You must not to share this password with anyone. We accept no responsibility or liability for any loss you suffer or incur as a result of failing to comply with this condition.
- 3.1.5 Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
3.2 Verified by Visa and Mastercard SecureCode
- 3.2.1 To give you even more confidence in shopping online at our Website, we have introduced Verified by Visa and Mastercard
SecureCode. These services enhance your existing credit/debit card accounts against unauthorized use when you shop with us.
- 3.2.2 To use this service, you must first register with the bank or other organisation that issued your card.
- 3.2.3 Once you have registered and created your own private password with your card issuer, you will be automatically prompted at the
checkout when the card is being processed to provide this password each time you make a purchase.
- 3.2.4 Please note: Your Verified by Visa and Mastercard SecureCode password is related to your credit/debit cards and is not the
customer account password used to access our Website. We do not have access to your Verified by Visa or Mastercard SecureCode password.
If you have any questions, comments or requests regarding this policy please contact the Customer Service Department at:
firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also write to us at:
Blacks Customer Service Department,
Blacks Outdoor Retail Limited
5. Third party websites
This Website contains links to other websites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites or website owners. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our Website and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by us and this Website.
6. Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access< request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
- 7.2 We are the sole owner of the information collected on this Website. We will not sell, share, or rent this information to others in ways different from those disclosed in this statement. We will not collect information from our users at several different points on our Website unless we are legally entitled or required to do so, or if we believe that such action is necessary to protect and/or defend our rights, property or personal safety and those of other users of this Website. Your privacy is of the highest importance to us, and we promise never to release your personal details to any outside company for mailing or marketing purposes without your express permission.